PPG Unveils POWERCRON EPIC E-coats
PPG Industries＇ industrial coatings business has introduced POWERCRON EPIC electrocoats (e-coats), a line of next-generation, cationic-epoxy products that will be used for the first time in North America by MetoKote Corp., Lima, Ohio, a key PPG partner.
Powercron EPIC e-coats offer several performance and environmental advantages over competing products because they are formulated with metal-free catalyst technology developed and patented by PPG.
Powercron EPIC e-coats cure at temperatures as low as 320 F, compared to 350-375 F for existing cationic-epoxy e-coat products, which enables manufacturers to reduce energy costs and related carbon emissions. They also can achieve more uniform film builds on complex parts because of the coatings＇ improved throwpower.
The metal-free catalyst technology also enables Powercron EPIC e-coats to be formulated without tin, bismuth and other heavy-metal-based compounds. As a result they will comply with emerging regulatory trends, such as new REACH (Registration, Evaluation and Authorization of Chemical Substances) mandates in the European Union that will restrict the use of certain tin-based compounds beginning in January 2015.
John Shaffer, PPG product manager, electrocoat, said, "Global reserves of bismuth are uncertain, and other heavy-metal compounds are increasingly subject to restrictive environmental mandates. Powercron EPIC e-coats will help manufacturers comply with evolving global environmental standards, protect them from cost volatility and enable them to manufacture products more efficiently."
Joe Tirado, MetoKote global director, technology and quality, said his company is pleased to partner with PPG on the launch of Powercron EPIC e-coats. "We believe these e-coats represent a new generation of coatings solutions that will help global manufacturers maintain compliance with global environmental standards while providing them with the excellent corrosion protection and finish quality they have come to expect from PPG products."
As one of the world's largest coatings manufacturers, PPG offers a comprehensive array of electrocoat, pretreatment, liquid and powder products for metal finishing to manufacturers in numerous industries. In addition to providing a broad range of industrial coatings and a full spectrum of color choices, PPG backs its products with industry-leading technical expertise delivered through an international customer support network. With 50 years of experience in e-coat, PPG offers solutions to some of the industry＇s toughest corrosion challenges.
- December 4, 2017As Tronox and Chemrous announce making a new price increasing after 1th,Jan,2018. China titanium dioxide suppliers start to make a new price increasing $100/ton since December,2017.view
- September 6, 2017PPG Industries＇ (NYSE:PPG) industrial coatings business has introduced ELECTROCOLOR® 3500 coating, an electrodeposition coating (e-coat) designed as a lightly-tinted clearcoat for application on meta...view
- January 2, 2018Ishihara Sangyo Kaisha, Ltd. and its affiliates have announced a priceincrease of Tipaque® titanium dioxide (TiO2) by US$200 per metric ton inthe Asia-Pacific region effective as from January 1st,...view
- September 13, 2018Venator is to close its titanium dioxide (TiO2) plant in Pori, Finland, by 2021 due to "cost escalation and extended timeline" for its reconstruction following a fire in 2017, the US-headquartered che...view
- September 6, 2017Globally Cristal, Huntsman, Chemour and Tronox increase titanium dioxide price with more than US$250/mt since July 1st and their supply is limited. In China market today, the chloride process titanium...view
- September 6, 2017Although imports of TiO2 from Australia to China has increased enormously, imports in Feb. is still greatly reduced due to the following reasons. One reason is that the imports from the US (a major im...view