PPG PMC celebrates 20th anniversary of polysiloxane coatings
PPG Industries＇ (NYSE:PPG) protective and marine coatings business is celebrating the 20th anniversary of polysiloxane coatings, for which PPG was granted the first patent on Jan. 4, 1994.
Tim Knavish, PPG vice president, protective and marine coatings, said polysiloxane coatings have revolutionized the protective and marine coatings industry, expanding into applications such as civil infrastructure, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), government, water and wastewater, petrochemical, offshore, rail, power generation and wind energy.
PPG polysiloxane products, specifically the PSX brand of coatings, have been used to coat more than 1 billion square feet of surface area. ＇With the sheer number of applications and success stories, polysiloxane is now considered a mature technology,＇ Knavish explained. ＇Thanks to sustained technical advances by PPG scientists and engineers over the past two decades, PSX coatings remain the leader in this field.＇
In the 20 years since being introduced, PSX coatings have been refined continually to meet specific customer needs. Recent innovations include a semi-gloss version for the government marine industry, a single-component formulation for easier maintenance, and a new ultra-low-VOC (volatile organic compound) PSX coating.
Polysiloxane coating technology by PPG offers benefits compared to traditional epoxy coatings systems such as low odor, low VOC content, excellent abrasion resistance, stronger adhesion, extended color and gloss retention, increased corrosion resistance and low surface tension. As a two-coat system, PSX coatings provide cost and labor savings compared to three-layer systems, and they are safer because they contain no isocyanates.
- March 13, 2020Tronox announces to have price increase of USD 120per metric ton for titanium dioxide in Asia Pacific since 1th,April,2020view
- March 20, 2019US-based Chemours will continue debottlenecking its titanium dioxide (TiO2) facilities, adding 150,000-200,000 tonnes/year of capacity through 2021.“We are debottlenecking three of our large faciliti...view
- September 6, 2017THE WOODLANDS, Texas, Jan. 31, 2017 -- A fire started January 30 at Huntsman Corporation's (HUN) titanium dioxide manufacturing facility in Pori, Finland. All Huntsman associates at the site have be...view
- September 13, 2018Venator is to close its titanium dioxide (TiO2) plant in Pori, Finland, by 2021 due to "cost escalation and extended timeline" for its reconstruction following a fire in 2017, the US-headquartered che...view
- October 19, 2020In September 2020, China's titanium dioxideoutput was 302,200 tons, a decrease of about 2,000 tons from August, a decreaseof 0.69% from the previous month and an increase of 13.96% from the previousye...view
- September 6, 2017Mineral Deposits Limited (“MDL”) advises that it has increased its interest in World Titanium Resources Limited (“WTR”) from 15.0% to 19.1% through the subscription of 18.0 million shares at 13 ce...view