Plastics exporters to benefit from EU-Canada trade deal
European Union and Canadian plastics exporters are to benefit from a new free trade deal. Once the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) has been ratified (probably in 2015), it will lead to all existing non-food duties imposed on good traded between the parties being scrapped.
This will mean an end to 6.5 percent duties levied by the EU and Canada on imports of each other＇s plastic tubes, pipes and hoses, and fittings; plastic floor coverings; lavatory seats and covers; plastic sacks and bags; and tableware, kitchenware and other household articles.
Also being scrapped is the 2-6.5 percent levy charged by Canada on EU plastic self-adhesive plates, sheets, film, foil, tape, strip and other flat shapes; and the 6.3 percent duties charged by the EU on these products when made in Canada. And the 3 percent duties charged by Canada on EU exports of melamine resins, and the 6.5 percent duties charged by the EU on Canadian exports of the same, will go.
European Commission president José Manuel Barroso said: "This agreement will provide significant new opportunities for companies in the EU and in Canada by increasing market access for goods and services."
The EU already sells substantial volumes of plastics to Canada. In 2012 it exported US$49.4 million worth of plastic plates, sheets, film, foil and strip; US$45.2 million worth of plastic tubes, pipes and hoses, and fittings. It also sold US$7.2 million worth of plastic tableware and kitchenware.
As for Canadian exporters, in 2012 they sold US$33.1 million worth of plastic plates, sheets, film, foil and strip to the EU, and US$8.9 million worth of plastic tubes, pipes and hoses, and fittings; and US$2.1 million worth of tableware and kitchenware, for instance.
- September 6, 2017WILMINGTON, Del., Feb. 6, 2017 -- The Chemours Company (Chemours) (NYSE: CC), today announced a price increase on all Ti-Pure ™titanium dioxide grades sold in North America, Canada, Asia- Pacifi...view
- September 6, 2017Kenmare Resources plc advises that it will announce its Preliminary Results for the 12 months ended 31st December 2013 on 12 March 2014. An analyst briefing will be held at 8:00am BST at the offices o...view
- September 6, 2017Huntsman Pigments has been shortlisted for the innovation award at the inaugural Made in the North East Awards.Manufacturing companies from across the North East of England are set to battle it out at...view
- August 8, 2017According to the German Coatings Association survey, in nearly 250 enterprises, most companies because of raw material prices continue to rise, so that the paint business has been greatly affected, on...view
- September 6, 20172.4 Macro economy In 2012, the second year of the 12th Five-Year Plan (2011-2015) period, GDP dropped in the first three quarters to 8.1%, 7.6% and 7.4% respectively. From the year 2011 to Q3 2013, Ch...view
- September 6, 2017AkzoNobel has expanded its presence in the Middle East after acquiring a 50 percent stake and management control of Sadolin Paints Oman SAOC, which employs around 150 people.The company has signed a j...view